Once again we are working with the NYC Mayor’s Office for People with Disabilities (MOPD) and are hoping to increase the participation of individuals in Disability Mentoring Day (DMD). We received a great response last year and are working towards repeating this for 2012.
DMD will take place this year on Wednesday, October 17th, 2012 and is sponsored nationally by The American Association of People with Disabilities as one of the highlights of National Disability Employment Awareness Month. On DMD people with disabilities across the country spend a day finding out first-hand about the skills and education needed to succeed in the workplace. Employers gain an increased appreciation of the talent people with disabilities have, and a better understanding of how they can contribute to meeting workplace goals.
Although this opportunity is not a promise of employment, participants will learn and experience:
- Networking workshops and opportunities;
- Job shadowing with an employer (mentor);
- Internship development assistance;
- Career exploration and informational interview opportunities with an employer (mentor);
- Resume, interview and dress etiquette workshops coordinated by MOPD;
Employers may also benefit from participating as mentors because it presents an opportunity to:
- Recruit interns;
- Gain access to a pool of potential future employees;
- Learn more about the disability experience;
- Develop lasting relationships with disability community leaders;
- Demonstrate leadership in their communities; and
- Attract positive media attention.
The mentee application is available at http://www.nyc.gov/html/mopd/downloads/pdf/dmd_mentee_application.pdf and must be completed by Friday, August 24, 2012.
The mentor application is available at http://www.nyc.gov/html/mopd/downloads/pdf/dmd_mentor_application.pdf and must be completed by Friday, August 31, 2012.
Please share this information with all who may be interested in this mentoring opportunity.
Co-Chair Disability Mentoring Day Recruitment Committees
Affirmative Action Compliance Diversity Officer
Affirmative Action, Pluralism &
Diversity / Compliance Office
Queensborough Community College
225-05 56th Avenue, Room A 309
Bayside, NY 11364
(718) 631-6391 phone
(718) 281-5668 Fax